Trip Leader: Uwe

Participants: Tony, Peter, Geoff, Keith and Monica 

Monday, 12 February 2018

The weather was cloudy and cool when the five vehicles, led by Uwe, left Swifts Creek at 8.30 am. We had not gone far when our route had to be changed because of a “road closed” sign. We had a pretty drive on the bitumen on the Great Alpine Road and turned off on Benambra Road, Old McLinster Road to Limestone Creek Road. Here we reduced tyre pressure and followed each other in the dust to Limestone Creek Track. The sign said “steep loose and rocky terrain – no trailers”. Low range was required as we negotiated steep ascents and descents to finally arrive at the Poplars/McCarthys camping area on the Murray River. We all enjoyed a relaxing afternoon with Monica winning the $2.00 prize for being the first to swim across the Murray to NSW. (We covered approx. 100 kms).

Tuesday, 13 February 2018

After a cold night we set off with the sun shining and a clear blue sky. It was low range as we retraced the climb up to McCarthys Track reaching an altitude near 1580 metres and then on to Davies Plain Track but like yesterday there was a “road closed” sign because of “significant track damage”. So we travelled along Buckwong Track, stopping at the hut for morning tea. Continuing on we reached Mt Hope Road which was high range but low range was engaged again when we reached Tom Groggin Track which was among tall trees with views of mountain ranges in the distance. We arrived at Dogman Hut camping area on the Murray River where some went for a swim and a couple of vehicles checked out the river crossing. (Approx. 55 kms)

Wednesday, 14 February 2018

It was a cold 4 degrees again as we left camp and skirted the fence line of Tom Groggin Station as we climbed up to Mt Pinnibar. A couple of deer led the convoy before finally heading off among towering ash forest. A short distance on, the call on the radio was to “stop where you are”. A large log was across the road. The three tail enders then had to walk up the steep slope and it took about an hour before we were able to proceed. We climbed again and reached the snow gums and wild flowers with good views of the distant ranges. The next highlight was the summit of Mt Pinnibar (1772 m). The trip leader said “what a view!” We all agreed. Proceeding down we continued on Mt Pinnibar Track and then travelled on Dead Finish Track and Walkers Road to arrive at Bullocky Creek campsite. We had lunch and then decided to set up camp for the night. We were down to 432 metres. It was warm and rather windy. (Approx. 55 kms)

Thursday, 15 February 2018

Once again everyone commented on how cold it was but we soon warmed up in the vehicles as we continued on Walkers Road. We aired up when we reached the bitumen and then it was a quick run past farming properties to reach Corryong where the trip ended. We all enjoyed ourselves seeing some new country. (Approx. 30 kms)

Report: Monica